If you want to get in your 30-60 minutes of physical activity, but hate the idea of going to the gym, the possibilities are endless.
|Activity||Avg calories burned/hr|
|Light gardening or yard work||330|
|Golf (walking with clubs)||330|
|Bicycling (more than 10 mph)||590|
|Swimming (slow, freestyle laps)||510|
|Walking (more than 4.5 miles per hour)||460|
|Heavy yard work||440|
|Weightlifting (vigorous workout)||440|
Tips to stay hydrated (for workouts less than 1-1/2 hours)
- Drink about 16 ounces of cool or cold water 1 to 2 hours before you exercise.
- Drink about 16 ounces of cool water or a sports drink 15 minutes before you exercise.
- Drink about 5 ounces of cool water every 10 minutes during your exercise.
- Have about 34 ounces of cool water on hand per hour.
- Drink about 16 ounces of cool or cold water or a sports drink just after you exercise.
30- 60 mins exercise a day reduces your risk for heart diseases, certain cancers, strengthen lungs and muscles, keep joints in good condition, improves balance, helps cope with stress, builds self-confidence, improves sleep and promotes weight loss.
Consult your doctor before beginning any weight loss or exercise program.
Grab the right gear
- Choose wicking fabrics that keep sweat off your skin and chills in winter.
- Make sure waistbands are not too tight and do not constrict motion.
- Choose socks with enough padding to keep your feet from getting sore.
- Women should choose a sports bra that provides adequate comfort and support.
- Don’t wear sports shoes that rub or chafe or shoes that are worn or cause your feet to turn in or out.